Friday, March 13, 2009
Oh Happy Day
Several years ago I planted a lemon tree in the back yard. It takes a few years before a fruit tree starts to produce fruit. I waited and waited. Every Spring I would check for buds but no, nothing, nada. The tree has been standing there, fruitless, far longer than it should. I began to refer to the tree as my lemon lemon tree. Yesterday, to my supreme delight, I noticed one flower on the tree. I was elated!! Upon inspection I noted that there were two fruit buds on the next branch. Ecstasy! The bees have been busy pollinating the much anticipated flowers. Two budding baby lemons! Perhaps there are more, as yet unseen. (I hope, I hope) The tree is no longer a lemon lemon, but a bonafide LEMON. Much rejoicing and exaggerated happy dancing ensued. And I'm already dreaming of that day--me, a lounge chair and a big glass of icy cold lemonade. Homegrown. In my back yard. Ahhhhh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment