Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Jason's Birthday
Today is my oldest baby boy's birthday. He is 34 today. My husband and I couldn't think of a boys name to give our firstborn. We had discussed a few girls names but we were at a loss for a boys name. In those days people didn't generally know what gender their child would be before the child was born. It was such a wonderful surprise to find out at the moment of birth if you had a son or daughter. Two days before he was born we were watching TV and stumbled on the movie Jason and the Golden Fleece. The movie was fascinating with terrific special effects. At one point we looked at each other and we both said "Jason!" at the same time. That settled that. The next day we went to see the band Chicago in concert. I looked adorable. I looked hugh, too, but in a very adorable way. I wore a cute puffy sleeve maturnity blouse with embroidered sombreros on the smocked bodice and bell bottom jeans with a stretchy panel in front. And platform clogs!! Don't ask. It was the early '70's and I was in fashion. Somewhat foolish, in retrospect. The concert was good but we left before it ended. The vibrations from the speakers were starting to make me queesy. The next morning my husband went to work and I took it easy as I wasn't feeling quite right. Oh, then the pain started. I called my husband to come home right away. My friend from next door came and sat with me and timed the contractions. My husband arrived and we sped off to the hospital. The hospital was in another town and it took us about 45 minutes to get there. Considering it was March 4th in Pennsylvania the weather was remarkably warm. We made it to the hospital and I was prepped (and I mean PREPPED!!!) for childbirth. Good grief, the pain was already unbearable and then they do all kinds of prep work that even on a good day would be uncomfortable and, might I add, personally embarrassing. I remember a nurse coming into the room and telling me to "keep it down". My husband, bless his soul, said I should just scream, moan or swear, whatever I wanted to do. I remember just shutting down and not uttering another word until I delivered a healthy baby boy. Jason of Argonaut fame. Then I was happy again. And I have never stopped being happy with Baby Jason. It is an honor to be your Mother. I have been blessed to be given this opportunity. Happy Birthday baby boy. Happy birthday Jason.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment